Have you ever made chocolate bark? It’s one of the easiest things ever to throw together, and it’s so much fun! This is the perfect recipe to try with your kids this summer. It doesn’t even matter what you have in the kitchen – as long as you’ve got a bit of chocolate and a few snacks you can toss on top, you’re good to go!
Y’all. This chocolate salty & sweet bark is to die for. I can’t even tell you how much I love it.
This recipe was born out of desperation one day years ago in my classroom. We needed to make dessert for a party we were attending and we didn’t have much on hand. I needed something flexible, simple, and easy enough that my students could make it.
And that, my friends, is how I came up with this.
Sweet & Salty Chocolate Bark Recipe
First of all, let me note that I’m going to tell you what I put in our bark. This is just what we had on hand. If you don’t have these things, feel free to swap it out for something else. I’ll include a list at the end of other fun ideas you might want to try!
– 1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
– 1/2 of a bag of popcorn, popped
– 1 cup of M&Ms
– 1 cup of pretzels, crushed
– 3/4 cup of marshmallows
To make the bark, start by melting down the chocolate chips in the microwave. I usually start with 1 minute then stir, and do 30-second increments after that, stopping to stir each time.
Pour your chocolate into a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Now, sprinkle on your toppings! You can do as much or as little as you want here. Seriously, this is not the kind of recipe where you have to follow the rules. Add whatever you’ve got on hand. Gummy worms. Teddy Grahams. Doritos. I won’t judge.
Once you’re satisfied with the toppings, toss it in the refrigerator for about twenty minutes or so, until the chocolate sets.
Once your chocolate is completely hardened, pull it out and lift the parchment paper out of the baking sheet. Break the bark up into whatever size you’d like. Don’t worry about making them uniform or pretty – this recipe is all about simplicity. Some of the toppings will fall off (especially if you went a little overboard like I tend to). It’s no big deal – just eat them. The calories don’t even count since it’s technically not part of the dessert. Promise.
Last step? Enjoy.
The beauty of this recipe is that it’s completely versatile – you can switch it up (do white chocolate instead of semi-sweet! Add a swirl of cookie butter!), change out the ingredients, and get a little bit crazy. It’s the perfect recipe for little hands to help with as well, because it’s literally foolproof. You can’t mess it up.
Sweet & Salty Chocolate Bark
The easiest, most versatile chocolate bark recipe around!
- - 1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- - 1 bag of popcorn, popped
- - About 1 cup of M&Ms
- - About 1 cup of pretzels, crushed
- - About 3/4 cup of marshmallows
- Start by melting down the chocolate chips in the microwave. I usually start with 1 minute then stir, and do 30-second increments after that, stopping to stir each time.
- Pour your chocolate into a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Now, sprinkle on your toppings! You can do as much or as little as you want here.
- Once you're satisfied with the toppings, toss it in the refrigerator for about twenty minutes or so, until the chocolate sets.
- After the chocolate has set, pull it out and break into bite-sized pieces. Enjoy!
Here’s a few ideas for other things you might want to toss on top:
- Potato chips
- Gummy worms
- Graham crackers
- Reeces Pieces
- Literally ANYTHING in your pantry!
I’d recommend making this right before you plan to eat it, because the popcorn will get a bit stale after a day or so. Of course, that hasn’t ever stopped me from continuing to eat it. I like to keep mine in the refrigerator, so it’s nice and cold, but it would do fine on the counter as well. There are no rules here!
Now, go forth and make chocolate bark. Then come back and tell me about your ideas for other combinations!